Monday, February 4, 2013

Superbowl 2013....some thoughts.

I sat down with my husband yesterday to watch the Superbowl.  We didn't really have a favorite team so we were just looking forward to enjoying a good game, yummy food and being together. 

Then the commercials hit.  

Many of the commercials are filled with images of women you never seem to find in real life or among your friends.  Do you ever notice that?  It is as if the team of writers for these commercials only include overgrown adolescent boys and Planned Parenthood.  The women act like they just can't wait to have meaningless sex and drink lots of beer.  I find myself wishing they would do a follow-up commercial.  The one where the girl is at the pharmacy (alone) picking up her prescription for her new STD....a gift from that hot guy at the bar and his lovely BUD.

It makes me irritated but most of all, it just makes me sad.  So many girls have grown up in a culture that treats their beautiful bodies as nothing more than objects to be gawked at by a bunch of drunk men at a bar.  Girls, that is not sexy that's just being used.  Isn't it maddening to think that we have a whole generation of girls who can't tell the difference?

Then there was the halftime show. 

Now, I have to say, I have seen much worse.   But, a little more of Beyonce's voice and alot less of Beyonce would have been appreciated.   I don't know about you, but I'm not interested in watching her perform "moves" only her OBGYN should see.

I hope next time, along with that ring, she'll put some self-respect on it.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment